Make no mistake about it: a recognizable and loved brand is one of the most valuable assets a company owns.
According to a Nielson survey, 59% of consumers prefer to buy new products from brands familiar to them.
As a small business, you may be competing against big brands with devoted customers and unlimited marketing budgets. That’s why you have to find ways to differentiate–with a solid brand building process of your own.
How do you build a brand?
Branding is much more than just a cool logo or well-placed advertisement.
You need to do more.
Let me provide you with a quick definition before diving into the nitty-gritty of brand building.
What is a brand?
Simply put, your brand is defined by a customer’s overall perception of your business.
A successful brand has to be consistent in communication and experience, across many applications:
- Environment (storefront or office)
- Print, signage, packaging
- Website & online advertising
- Content marketing & social media
- Sales & customer service
Now, brand building being simple? The truth is: it doesn’t happen overnight…or even in a few months.
Building a brand is definitely a process. However, the ongoing effort will result in establishing long-term relationships with your customers.
This can lead to a steady increase in sales, more projects, word-of-mouth referrals, and advocacy for your products or services.
I simplified the path for a brand building process below, to help your company or personal brand gain a more loyal following.
Are you wondering where to start?
Use these steps as guidelines for how to build a brand!
How to Build a Brand
- Determine your brand’s target audience.
- Establish a brand mission statement.
- Research brands within your industry niche.
- Outline the key qualities and benefits your brand offers.
- Create a brand logo and tagline.
- Form your brand voice.
- Build a brand message and elevator pitch.
- Let your brand personality shine.
- Integrate your brand into every aspect of your business.
- Stay true to your brand building.
- Be your brand’s biggest advocate.